Psalms {Part 1}

   So we've been studying Psalms for the past two weeks now. I really needed to write down some thoughts before I lost them! : )

   Right now, we have been going through three psalms a day, skipping around some (but not too much). Leading up to where we are now (chapter 55, I think!), there have been many different types of psalms to really dig into. Here's what I've gathered from all these...

   Whenever David writes a psalm, he is very straight forward, but reverent; almost like it's a model of the Lord's Prayer...weird how that happens. There are different types of psalms: psalms of lament, psalms of praise, and psalms of wisdom, penitential psalms, and Messianic psalms. All these have a wonderful place in this book. The ones I would like to address are the penitence, praise, and Messianic psalms. First, I would like to define some terms:  

  • Penitence-the action of feeling or showing sorrow and regret for having done wrong; repentance 
  • Praise-the expression of approval or admiration for someone or something
  • Messianic-of or relating to the Messiah (Jesus Christ)
   The words in bold are ones I really wanted to "make the definition" so to speak.

   Let's look at some examples of these psalms...

  • Psalm 51 (Penitent Psalm): Verse 10-"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit in me." 
   This is the psalm David wrote after his sin with Bathsheba. Remember, Nathan (the prophet) came to David and told him a story, which got David riled up a bit. When he learned that he was the offender, it shocked him and broke his heart. He knew he needed to get right with God. Verse 10 of this Psalm is probably the most quoted verse of this song, and for a good reason. It's reminding us of what we need to ask for when we go to God for forgiveness: a clean heart and a steadfast spirit that is loyal to God and Him alone. So many times we fail to remember to ask for that second part. It is vital that we do; otherwise, we end up in this cycle of sin, because we can't stop it without His help. 

  • Psalm 23 (Psalm of Praise): Verses 1-6
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your stagg, they comfort me. YOu prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you annoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. 
   I'm sure we've all heard this psalm, but do we understand what it means? David is praising God for the abundance of blessings that God has given him. If you think about it, there are some distinct ways that God takes care of us that he mentions.

  1. He is our shepherd. 
  2. He gives us the necessities of life.
  3. He directs our path.
  4. He is our comforter.
  5. He blesses us with more than we could ask.
   These are just a few ways that God shows his love to us in daily life. That is worth being praised for!
  • Psalm 22 (Messianic Psalm) Verses 1, 7, 8, and 18-"[My God, my God why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?][All who see me mock me mock me; they make mouths at me; they wag their heads; 'He trusts in the Lord; let him deliver him; let him rescue him, for he delights in him!'][they divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots.]
   Does this sound familiar? A Messianic psalm prophesies about the coming Messiah. Those verses were fulfilled during the crucifixion of Christ. What is so cool is that David prophesied all those years earlier, yet Jesus still fulfilled every single one of the prophecies ever made about him. 

   I hope this has encouraged you to see how great our God is! He really is worthy to be praised!

Comments

Popular Posts