Bible Journaling Supplies 101


  I was asked by some of my friends to do a supply list for beginners. While I did sort of cover some of the basics when I first started, I decided that it would be helpful to have a separate post just on supplies. All the pictures link to a place (mostly amazon.com) where you can buy the item. So welcome to Bible Journaling Supplies 101!!!

   We are going to start with the MOST important item...your bible! Here are some links to different types of bibles:
 

 
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Bible-KJV-Flexcover-Journaling/dp/1432114875?ie=UTF8&refRID=F77DHP05S9RDQJV2S60Z&ref_=pd_ybh_a_15
   This is a KJV bible...it has some spaces for doing your own bible journaling, but it also has outlines of things that you can just color in. I would HIGHLY recommend this bible for those who want to bible journal, but feel that they lack the skill, but can still do it and get comfortable with the way of doing it. There are a few different styles of this bible, so get the one that you like the most! Remember, this bible is for you, so make it personable to you....it's another way to study and meditate on God's word. #link
http://www.amazon.com/Journaling-Bible-Interleaved-Autumn-Song/dp/1433555395/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_11?ie=UTF8&refRID=0J0HKQGTNJPP6C4QCHS9
 Ok...so this is an ESV bible that is AMAZING if you are super creative...like I think this is the ultimate journaling bible, and I wish I got it! This bible has the regular page, while the right side has a blank page for notes...or in this case, pictures! If you are ever worried about covering up Scripture with your drawing, this is perfect! It doesn't come out until July...so you can pre-order it and be patient if this is the bible best for you. #link
http://www.amazon.com/Note-Takers-Bible-Imitation-Leather-Letter/dp/0310434181/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=00HVP8WE9MAE7FZXC51F
    This NASB bible is the one I have...so if you are wanting to copy the pages that I do (or, of course, do other pages), I would recommend this one. The difficulty with this one is the margins. They have a margin on the sides and a huge one on the bottom. However, this is the only NASB bible that has a design, and since I wanted to use that version for my bible journaling, this was the obvious choice. #link
http://www.amazon.com/Bible-Journal-Imitation-Leather-Brown/dp/0310443660/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=0NA5S1KEHBBD84BFARWJ
   This NIV bible has a cool, unisex design that is a lot like the NASB bible. There are lines in this bible, so if you are doing mostly lettering and/or you are using this bible to study in as well, this may be perfect for you. The lines are faint, so if you wanted to occasionally do a drawing, you totally could. #link








   So now that we have bibles cleared up, the next step is the prepping materials. Here are the supplies I use:
http://www.amazon.com/Prima-Marketing-Basics-Gesso-8-5-Ounce/dp/B00MX79XNI/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=1VEZ43BAGP46ZQ04GAPW
   Here is the gesso that I use. When you get gesso for bible journaling, you HAVE to make sure that it is clear and matte. If it isn't, you will have (1. Color over your scripture and (2. It will be really shiny. You really don't want that. So if you want to go with a different brand, just use those requirements and reviews if they are available. #link
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Ink-Blending-Tool-1-Round/dp/B00J53E8N8/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=08DPFAQJ9G5666RA0653
   This is the tool I use to spread the gesso onto my paper. The thing I like about this tool is that it doesn't leave little "nasties"(as I like to call them) on my paper. They are really just little black fuzzy things that get left behind when you use a black foam brush. I have found this to work the best...so I would say this is worth the price. Note: Make sure you rinse out the foam after you are done applying gesso...otherwise your circle will harden and it's hard to wash out. #link
http://www.amazon.com/Uchida-Embossing-Heat-Tool-Stand/dp/B000QTFH58/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=1P3YW8HMHA785DNSZ85R
   Ok....you all have heard me talk about this. This is my precious heat gun that I use to dry just about anything related to crafts...especially card making and bible journaling. I've had this for about a year and a half now, so it's well worth it. Hairdryers DO NOT work. Just get this you guys. I promise you won't regret it. : ) #link

http://www.amazon.com/Ranger-15-Inch-by-18-Inch-Inkssentials-Craft-Sheet/dp/B000S17ZAY/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=13B32914RDEY5ZY0T5HE
   This is the AMAZING craft sheet I use. It's heat resistant, and everything that I've used so far washes off no problem. Also, you can cut it to serve your bible page needs...just don't cut it too much. I use this underneath my page when I am working on it to prevent bleeding onto other pages (if it bleeds at all...it doesn't normally happen) and/or getting wet. Anyway...get this. You need it. #link





   Alright. We've got our prep work section out of the way. Now it's time for the fun stuff...your materials you can use on your bible.

http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-24ct-Watercolor-Colored-Pencils/dp/B00006IEFN/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1464483905&sr=1-1&keywords=crayola+water+color+pencils

   These are the famed watercolor pencils you've heard me talk about....they're cheap and easy to use...that's why I like them. Plus, they have some really vibrant colors that I love to use. These colors are just the standard ones...they have packs of twelve, fifty, and two hundred-forty that I've seen...so take your pick! I've been happy with this one because you can (1. Have a good variety of colors and (2. Mix other colors together to get the shade you want if you are looking for an exact shade. The back of the box shows you three way to use them, so I've used all of those techniques before to create different effects. Definitely get these to start off your bible journaling journey!  #link

http://www.michaels.com/10105443.html

 For those of you who like brush and fine tip pens, this is the set for you. I don't have this exact pack; however, this is a great primary color set to get a variety of colors on your page. I used my set in my Proverbs 31 journaling page...so check that out to see how they lay. #link
http://www.amazon.com/Sakura-30062-6-Piece-Pigma-Micron/dp/B0008G8G8Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1464483710&sr=1-1&keywords=pigma+micron+pens

   Now this is my set of Pigma Micron pens....and I love it. It's honestly the set I use the most to do any lettering. The different thicknesses of the pens create a versatility to do any lettering you find you want to do. Just start out with the smallest and work up. One thing to note...don't press hard when you are using these...especially the smaller tip ones...they will bend and fray a bit, making them unusable. #link


   This tool isn't absolutely necessary, but I love it, so I thought I would share it with you. How this works: Unscrew the bottom half and fill up with water. Screw it back on, and you have a water brush that gives a constant small flow of water, making water coloring easy. If you need more water, gently squeeze on the sides and look for the drop of water coming out on the brush. You don't typically want the drop to hit the paper because of the amount, but it wets your brush thoroughly. #link



http://www.amazon.com/Zig-Stella-Brush-Individual-Glitter/dp/B00B7LQ8DE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464469243&sr=8-1&keywords=wink+of+stella
   If you like just a touch of glitter, this might be perfect for you. It has about the same make up as the water brush, but it pours out glitter instead of water. I have the clear, gold, and silver pens, but there are a ton out there to choose from. If you find you like a certain color a lot, totally go for it and get it. I just tend to use the clear over a color if I want a certain part to be sparkly...that's just my opinion...take it or leave it. : ) #link








So there you have it! If you have a favorite tool or think I've missed something, feel free to comment below! I will totally look at it. Remember, this is just a beginners list, so I have other supplies that I've used that I have had from card making (stamps, washi tape, etc.) That's a list for another time though.... ; ) If I come across other items I feel are a must have, I will update this list accordingly so that you guys can have it. Enjoy this list and I hope you all get creative out there!!!

Comments

Popular Posts