Defining Self

   School started this week! That means that you'll be hearing from me more often. : )

   There's a topic that I've been really struggling with lately...and don't get me wrong, I'm still struggling with it! ; ) However, I wanted to share with you what I have learned thus far.

   I have a major problem with my identity. I struggle with defining who I am as a person, basically. Too often I depend on my friends, family, coaches, and teachers to give me positve feedback, thus giving me joy (but it's temporary). As a child of God, there is a problem with my situation.

   There was a situation this week where I had to really consider what standards I used to define my identity. Suffice to say, I really wanted to be in this postion for many reasons; and a lot of them were purely selfish. It was a position of leadership where others would look up to me, and it was a postion that I thought I pretty much had secured for me going into this. I thought, "No problem, this will totally happen. Don't worry about it," SO many times leading up to this. Regardless, it didn't turn out the way I expected and I was a little hurt.

   Let's get to the good part though. What did I learn from this situation?

I can lead by example.

Shocker, right? I have always had this concept in my  head, but to truly understand it was something it didn't have. NO MATTER WHAT, YOU CAN ALWAYS LEAD BY EXAMPLE!!! Whether or not you are in a position of leadership, you can always try to do the right thing. People do notice. They may not tell you, but it could impact them (and you). Remember, God said if you can be faithful in the little things, you will be faithful in the big things (Luke 16:10).

LOVE

This is a big one...especially since I'm talking from experience. It is part of growing our faith in Christ to love others. That means that you can't be selective in who you show Christ to. I'm not saying that you shouldn't have close friends or to not spend time with them. That would be ridiculous. ; ) But really think about it. Do you see that kid who doesn't quite fit in right? Or that one who is considered as "weird"? Take time to go talk to them. It can be as simple as just saying hi and asking them how their day was. It could be encouraging them in something you saw that they did. These are ways to reach out to people and show them Christ. Every situation different, and that was not an exhaustive list by any means, but find ways to brighten their day. 

You are not defined by what other's think of you.

This is just a point leading into our next one, but take a minute and soak this in. Isn't it freeing to know that it doesn't matter what other people think? Humans have the tendency to only be in a relationship when they get something out of the equation. When you don't supply what they are looking for, they move on. Now not EVERY relationship is like this of course. In our teen years, especially, we have "friends" and friends...know what I mean? That's kind of the difference. 

Your identity lies in Christ.

This is the most important point. Since we are not using the standard of men to define who we are, who's are we using? Christ's. If you are saved, you are His child. He has called us to be a living sacrifice in order to worship Him. That means living for Him day in and day out. If we stumble over what men think, we lose focus of our goal to live for Christ. I don't want to teach the "You are enough" principle, or anything associated with that. That's obviously wrong...because we can't do anything without Christ. Regardless, no matter the opinion of your peers, you are defined by how Christ sees you. That is how we can have true joy. People change. It's what we do! Their standards change, for better or worse. God NEVER changes. His standards are always the same, and we can find comfort in that. 

   Find joy in knowing Christ. Find joy in reading His Word and talking to Him. Find joy in striving to be more like Him. 

   Here is this quote from Jeannie Allen..."From His eternal perspective, it's tolerable to allow our temporary dreams to fall apart to accomplish unending purposes."

   I don't know why God made this situation happen the way it did. However, I can trust Him that He has more than enough reasons for not allowing me to do this, and that eventually, someday, I'll realize why.    

Comments

Popular Posts